Virginia Estates For Sale
From historic homes like Monticello to sprawling 18th century plantations, some of the finest properties and country estates in America are located right here in Virginia. The Realtors at Virginia Estates have decades of experience in both buying an selling exceptional Virginia homes and estates.
Virginia Estates By Price
Virginia Estates By Acreage
Virginia: A fine place to call home
Nicknamed the "Birthplace of Presidents," this proud state has born and bred 8 presidents, including George Washington and Thomas Jefferson. The word estate is generally used to refer to a large home on a piece of land when referenced in real estate. Along with many lesser known historic estates in Virginia, many of these famous historic homes still exist today. A few of these include:
- Monticello, home of Thomas Jefferson
- Mount Vernon, home of George Washington
- Montpelier, home of James Madison
- Ash Lawn-Highland, home of James Monroe
- Oak Hill, home of James Monroe
- Berkeley Plantation, home to William Henry Harrison
- North Bend Plantation, home to William Henry Harrison
- Gunston Hall, home to George Mason
Farms, Wineries and Vineyards
Virginia's 42,000 miles are defined by the Blue Ridge Mountains and the Chesapeake Bay. The temperate climate has lent itself to prosperous farmland for hundreds of years, producing a wide variety of fruits and vegetables, as well as world renowned wines. The first estates built in the state of Virginia were likely large plantations; Virginia was known early on for its tobacco production. Today, Virginia's agriculture accounts for $52 billion a year, and over 310,000 jobs. The average farm in the US is about three times the size of farms in 1900 - from 150 acres to 440 acres.
In the past thirty years the viticulture has exploded across the state. In 1979 Virginia had just six wineries to its name, now there are more than 250! There are nine different regions and 7 AVAs that produce over 55 different varietals of grapes. Most often, accompanying the vineyard and or winery is an estate that includes a main house, guest house/managers house and a tasting room. More and more people are establishing vineyards and wineries on their property to include with their estates to increase the value and income potential. In 2012 Wine Enthusiast Magazine named Virginia one of the top ten wine destinations in the world.
The equine industry is quite large in Virginia as well, and seemingly a large amount of estates are also labeled as horse farms. About 1,200 horse shows and events took place in Virginia in 2014, and these generated around 25 million dollars. So whether you are looking to board your own horses, or enjoy horses and would like to turn a profit by creating a horse boarding farm on your estate, many estates have barns already on the property that can be converted to suit your needs. Here are a few things to keep you and your horses busy:
- Virginia Gold Cup - Steeplechase Racing
- Virginia Horse Show Association Championships
- Hear the Beat Horse Show
- Middlebrook Horse Show
Luxury Homes and Estates
In the early 2000's many contractors took to building quite luxurious homes and estates. Often times these homes will be upwards of 6,000 square feet and have a decent amount of acreage to accompany the home. When looking into these luxurious properties, there are some things that the house will almost always have, such as new appliances, high ceilings, 5+ bedrooms and baths, etc. A guest house, a pool, a lake, mountain views and more. Although many of these homes are newer, there are some historic estates that have been updated to the fullest extent. These homes generally range from two million to more than ten million, depending on what you are looking for.
Many golf communities in Virginia have taken to building estates within a private gated community. Here are a few golfing communities waiting for you to tee off at your new home.
- Bay Creek in Cape Charles, Virginia If you are seeking out a waterfront property in a golf community, this coastal community may be just what you are looking for. With two championship courses designed by the famous Arnold Palmer and Jack Nicklaus, you have your pick of a land lot to design your future estate or a luxury home awaiting your arrival.
- Governor's Land at Two Rivers Located in historic Williamsburg, this private community is complete with one of the top 10 golf courses in Virginia. If that is not enough to satisfy you, there is a private yacht club, and a waterfront setting. Potomac Shores in Dumfries, Virginia
Virginia has many other golfing communities, these are just a few to highlight. So if you would like to buy a Virginia estate, but cannot leave your clubs behind, one of these communities may be just right for you and your family.
Virginia Estates is the frontrunner in buying and selling fine homes throughout the state. Be sure to have a knowledgeable realtor on your side through your search of Virginia estates for sale. Please give us a call at (877)646-8800 for immediate personal assistance, and let us guide you through the doors of your future home.